Oh yeah, it's that time of year again! Lunches are being made frantically every morning (for the kids, for husbands, wives, yourselves) and its handy to have ideas to create something different every now and then to save yourself from the well known lunchbox rut!
These Quinoa, Coconut, and Apricot Muesli Bars are perfect for luncboxes or a morning/afternoon tea snack, or even a high protein breakfast on the run. They are free of gluten, grains, dairy (optional), nuts, soy, eggs (optional), and refined sugar.
These ones have apricots and raisins in, but you could substitute for any dried fruit you like, and you could add in things like chopped nuts if you prefer. The option with eggs does hold together better, but if you are vegan or have egg allergies the egg free version tastes equally as delicious, just slightly more crumbly.
Quinoa, Apricot, and Coconut Muesli Bars
Gluten free, grain free, dairy free (optional), soy free, nut free, free of refined sugar, egg free (optional)
2 cups Quinoa Flakes
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup dried apricot, diced
1/2 cup raisins
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp baking powder
100ml coconut oil or butter
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (or if you want a vegan option you can substitute eggs with 1/2 cup apple puree and 2 tbsp chia seeds)
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line a square or rectangular cake tin
2. In a large bowl, add the dry ingredietns (quinoa, coconut, apricots, raisins, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well to combine
3. In a small bowl whisk the eggs (or apple puree and chia seeds) with the honey and coconut oil (or butter). If your honey and butter (if using) are hard you may want to melt them slightly to use. Same applies if it is winter and your coconut has hardened.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix well to combine
5. Press the mixture in to the baking tin. Press down so that it is firmly packed and the top is fairly flat.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack, then slice into museli bars of the size you desire.