The other day the kids wanted to get in the kitchen but couldn't decide what to make so I let them look through our shelves of recipe books and come up with some ideas. They settled on shortbread so we closed the books (never one to take instructions!!!) and came up with a recipe that is so incredibly easy to make and a good option to have in the arsenal for those special occasions such as birthdays or maybe a posh afternoon tea when it calls for something a little bit naughty!
I am sure that these could be made using either almond or coconut flour if you preferred to keep them grain free, and my next mission is to make a grain free one for those of you who prefer, but the rice flour used in the recipe does a good job of keeping the original texture of shortbread.
Gluten Free Vanilla ShortbreadGluten-free, nut-free, soy-free
1 cup brown or white rice flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/8 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Using a hand held mixer, combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and whizz to combine.
3. Add the flour and mix until all ingredients are well combined, and a soft dough forms.
4. Take portions of the dough (size of your choice) and form in to balls. Press balls down with a fork
5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden.