So, as any good wife would do (hahaha!) I decided to treat him a little by recreating one of his faves in a clean way.
This meal is made with gorgeous moist chicken thighs, coated in 'secret herbs and spices' (not so secret though...I'm about to tell you!), served with delicious fresh coleslaw with a homemade mayonnaise, and cauliflower mash (I also did a little potato mash too for true authenticity).
You can pretty much put together your own coleslaw and mash, depending on how you prefer it. You can click here for a coleslaw recipe if you need a recipe (just use homemade mayonnaise and the juice of half a lemon for your dressing instead of the fish sauce if you prefer), and click here to find the recipe for the homemade mayonnaise.
For your cauliflower mash, click here to find a yummy easy recipe that hubby rated as "better than mashed potato" - and he's a mashed potato man!
So, without further ado, here is the 'secret recipe' for the chicken...
Secret Spice ChickenGluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free
6 chicken thighs (I used bone in, but you can use boneless to save cooking time) trimmed of excess fat
3 tbsp tapioca starch
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp garlic flakes or garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional, you can omit if you have delicate palettes to feed, or add more if you like a spicy kick)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp peppercorns or ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 210C. Line a baking tray or roasting dish with baking paper (if you like less mess!).
2. In a spice blender or mortar and pestle, combine the fennel seeds, basil, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper. Blend or pound until finely ground.
3. In a large snap lock bag or bowl, add the tapioca starch and 2 tbsp of the spice mix. Shake the bag around, or mix the chicken well in the bowl using your hands, to ensure all of the pieces of chicken are well coated in the mixture. You can do everything up to this step well ahead of time if you prefer, and just keep the chicken in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
4. Place the chicken on the baking tray and, using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, coat each piece in a little oil.
5. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
6. Serve the chicken with your cauliflower or potato mash and a healthy serving of coleslaw.