The day was topped off by a great evening with hubby's mum and stepdad who put on a wicked bbq as always - stuffed, satisfied and exhausted!
On to the chocolate orange cake now! I was using up some oranges the other day and made it into some fresh juice for the kids but ended up with about about a cup more than needed. Never one to waste perfectly good anything, I decided to make a cake! This cake came out moist and delicious and has just a hint of orange flavor. Gluten, dairy, grain, soy and refined sugar free it's almost good enough for breakfast!
Chocolate Orange CakeGluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, soy-free, free of refined sugar
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp water
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a cake tin with baking paper (I used a 19cm round tin, but you can use whatever tin you prefer, just remember to adjust your cooking time accordingly)
2. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder and ginger
3. In another bowl, combine the honey, eggs, coconut oil and orange juice.
4. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry. Mix well.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin
6. Bake for around 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.