Broccoli and Pine Nut FrittersGluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free, sugar-free
2 cups broccoli, chopped into small florets
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, grated
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup pine nuts (either raw or toasted - you choose!)
1 tbsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil or cooking oil of your choice
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil and either steam or boil the broccoli for about 3-5 minutes until just tender.
2. Drain the water and turn the broccoli out onto a chopping board. Using a large knife, roughly chop the broccoli - you don't have to make it pretty, just roughly hack it into small chunks.
3. Add the broccoli to a medium bowl along with all the other ingredients. Mix well to combine
4. Heat your oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
5. Add spoonfuls of the broccoli mixture to the pan (I used about 2-3 tbsp for each fritter, but you can vary it to your liking). You may have to press the mixture down a little and shape it a little using a spoon or other cooking utensil. You will most likely have to make the fritters in 2 batches as you don't want to crowd the pan - leave plenty of room for flipping as it is a delicate process!
6. Cook for about 3 minutes until golden brown, then flip VERY carefully (you may need to smoosh them back together a little after flipping!) and cook again for another couple of minutes on the other side.
Serve the fritters any way you like. We had them with roast chicken legs, hassle back kumaras and steamed carrots - you could have them with all sorts of things.
Serve them with homemade chutney and a fresh salad for a simple and nutritious lunch, or as a side dish for any number of main meals. You can add different spices to adapt the flavor to the dish you are making - for example add a little garam masala and have them with your favourite curry, or add a touch of chilli and some cumin and coriander to give them a mexican twist… so many choices!