Gorgeous Oven Baked Beetroot Chips - perfect as a snack, as a side dish with your dinner (served here on top of fresh snapper), or even good enough for breakfast!! Beetroot is wonderful for your heart health and although it's earthy taste is quite unique it can be enjoyed in so many ways - even in dessert! (remind me to find my recipe for beetroot brownies one day soon!)
Surprisingly, my four year old even loved these chips - she eats most things but I was not sure how she would go with these. Probably helps that they're pink!
Beetroot ChipsGluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free
1 large whole beetroot, peeled
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 150C
2. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
3. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the beetroot very thinly.
4. In a medium bowl combine the oil, cumin, salt and pepper
5. Add the beetroot to the oil mixture and toss well to ensure an even coating on all pieces of beetroot. This works best using your hands!
6. Place the beetroot on the baking trays in a single layer.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes then turn and bake for another 10 minutes or so. You will have to keep a close eye on the chips, as they will go from nearly dried and 'chip-like' to over brown and burnt tasting in a very short space of time! It will seem as though they are taking ages, but do not be tempted to turn the oven up as you will just end up with burnt little crisps (well, you may not, but I always burn them at the higher temperature - you have been warned!). When the chips are looking dark pink and curled up at the edges, remove from the oven and leave to rest. They will dry out a little more as they rest.
Note: If you don't want to suffer from pink hands for the rest of the evening, you could wear a disposable glove when you are peeling, slicing and tossing the beetroot.