Vanilla Custard(Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free)
5 egg yolks
1 can coconut milk (270ml)
2 tsp vanilla paste (or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean)
2 tbsp coconut sugar (or sweetener of your choice. You may like to adjust the quantity depending on how sweet you like it)
1 tbsp tapioca flour
1. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and tapioca flour until well combined.
2. In a medium saucepan heat the coconut milk and vanilla until hot but not boiling.
3. While whisking continuously, slowly pour the coconut milk into the bowl with the egg mixture. Whisk until well combined.
4. Pour the custard mixture back into the saucepan and over a low heat cook the custard until thick and glossy. Stir often.
5. Remove from heat and serve immediately if you want a nice hot custard, or leave to cool. The custard is just as good cold!