We ate at Wildfire which is a Brazilian Churrasco (Brazilian BBQ). It is basically big plates of delicious vegetables, seafood and succulent meat all unlimited and bought to your table. The waiters walk around carrying big skewers with meat on and they cut it straight off the bone on to your plate. The kids most enjoyed playing with the 'traffic light' - there is a little wooden indicator on the table, one end green the other end red. When you want more food you turn it green side up, and when you are full and need to take a break you put the red side up. Great idea!
Cooked hubby his usual hot breakfast this morning, but as it was a special occasion I decided to jazz it up a little with some bacon (don't usually have time to make anything more than an omelette with a few vege leftovers thrown in. Lucky man!! Today I made him an egg and coconut milk omelette with capsicum and spinach, topped with avocado, chilli sauce and a side of bacon. He had just been to bootcamp early in the morning so it was a good way to send him off to work after a hard morning!
Last night we had burgers and fries for dinner - yum! Bunless burgers, using field mushrooms instead of buns with vietnamese chicken patties, shoestring kumara and celeriac fries, and roasted eggplant strips. The meal was divine, the kids loved it and hubby was in burger heaven. He loves a good burger, and he totally rated these ones so they can go down in the books as 'fun for the whole family!'. The meal is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, egg-free and free or refined sugar. Delicious, clean, nutritious and really easy to make!
Bunless Burgers with Shoestring Fries(Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, egg-free and free of refined sugar)
500g Chicken Mince
1 clove garlic
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 zucchini, roughly chopped
1/2 a red chilli (or more if you like it spicy)
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped into florets
1 tbsp lemongrass, finely diced
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
4 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
8 field mushrooms, whole with stems removed
2 tomatos, thickly sliced
8 large lettuce leaves (I used cos lettuce but any variety is fine)
2 avocados (remove skins and mash)
juice of a half a lime or lemon
1 tsp chilli powder or sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 kumara, cut into thin chips
1/2 a celeriac, cut into thin chips (or potato or another root vegetable of your choice)
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 eggplant, cut into strip about 1cm thick x 6cm long
1 tbsp salt
1. In a small blender or food processor, combine garlic, onion, zucchini, chilli, broccoli, lemongrass, white pepper and fish sauce. Blend until smooth and well combined to make a paste. In a medium bowl combine chicken mince with paste and coconut flour. Mix until well combined. Cover and set aside in the fridge for a couple of hours (you can use straight away if you don't have time to wait, it just allows the flavours to develop nicely if you marinade it for a bit).
2. In a colander or sieve, place eggplant and salt (mix well to coat all of the eggplant in salt). Sit over a plate or bowl for around 20-30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 200C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. In a large bowl, combine kumara, cleriac, melted oil, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix until oil and spices cover chips well. Place on a baking tray and bake for around 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
4. When eggplant has been resting for around 20-30 minutes, rinse really well under cold filtered water and squeeze all of the excess liquid out. Place on a baking tray. On the same baking tray, lay the mushrooms 'gill' side up, and spread a little bit of oil on. You can also season with a little salt and pepper, or add any herbs you like. Bake the mushrooms and eggplant for about 15 minutes until tender and golden.
5. For the burger patties, take the prepared chicken mixture and split into 8 patties, about 2cm thick and 8cm wide. Over a medium heat, heat half the oil (1tbsp). When hot, place 4 patties and fry until golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side, frying until they are cooked through. Repeat the process for the other 4 patties.
6. To assemble the meal, place one mushroom down, top with chicken pattie, a couple of slices of tomato, then a dollop of mashed avocado (mash avocado with lime or lemon juice, chill and seasoning). Top with a lettuce leaf and finely another mushroom. Serve with fries and eggplant on the side.