Further to our recent bread experimentation, I thought I would share another bread recipe. This one is a little different, and although not hugely 'avocado-y' tasting, it does have that hint of sort of sweet earthiness that those wonderful avocados have. I got the idea of avocado bread from the blog tgipaleo.com and experimented with some different ingredients to make the loaf pictured below.The bread was a total hit with the whole family, even my youngest who wouldn't usually touch avocado with a 6 foot pole. The great thing about this bread is that it is totally nut free which makes it a safe option for putting in kids lunches with all of the nut-free policies around, plus the obvious of it being safe for anyone with a nut allergy to eat.
As well as being nut-free, the bread is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free and sugar-free. It is also wonderfully soft, moist and not crumbly. It bends well and makes great sandwiches.
Avocado Bread(Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup chia seed meal (blitz chia seeds in a coffee grinder or mini food processor to create a flour from the whole)
1/4 cup psyllium husk
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup water
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup avocado puree (should be about 2 medium avocados)
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper, or grease with coconut oil or butter
2. Puree avocado with a blender (a stick blender works really well, but a standard blender will also work). Make sure the avocado is totally smooth with no pesky lumps
3. Combine dry ingredients (coconut flour, salt, psyllium, chia seed meal and baking soda) in a medium bowl.
4. In a small bowl, combine eggs, water, apple cider vinegar and avocado.
5. Pour wet mixture into dry and mix until combined.
6. Spoon mixture into the loaf tin and smooth down.
7. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until browned and firm to touch.
8. Eat while still hot from the oven for that wonderful warm bread sensation, or leave to cool and use for sandwiches or toast as needed.