We decided that with all the bugs we have all had it would be a good opportunity to have a day at home and just get a few things done around the house. Mission on! The decision was made to attack the spare bedroom - you know the one, the room that everyone has where everything gets put 'just quickly until we find a better place for it'...well we had so many of those things we had quickly thrown in the room that it had come to the point where we could barely step in the door. Time for some serious work!
After all of that hard graft it was time for an easy dinner, so tonights meal was a quick little mexican number. A chicken fajita type of thing, made with a corn tortilla, cashew cream, fresh avocado, lettuce and tomato, topped with coriander and a side of lime. Easy to make, tasty to eat, and not many dishes... the perfect meal!
Ingredients: (All quantities are rough guidlines, and can be adjusted to taste)
Chicken Fajita mix:
1 tbsp coconut oil
600g chicken (I used tenderloins, but any chicken meat will do)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 can organic black beans
1/2 of 1 large red capsicum
8 button mushrooms
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp coriander (fresh or dried)
1 tsp oregano (fresh or dried)
1/4 tsp chilli powder (adjust to taste)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper
1 cup chopped lettuce leaves
1 large tomato chopped into chunks
1 avocado, chopped into chunks
a generous handful of fresh coriander
1 limes, quartered
1 pack of corn tortillas (or cauliflower tortillas, regular tortillas, large lettuce leaves depending on your dietary choices)
Cashew Cream: (recipe adapted from Dr Libby Weaver - The Real Food Chef)
1 cup raw cashew nuts
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil over a medium/high heat.
2. Add chicken and cook until just brown.
3. Add onions, garlic, capsicum and mushrooms. Cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Add beans, tomato paste, coriander, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, chilli and oregano
5. Cook until chicken is done, and vegetable are softened. Season to taste
6. While chicken mixture is cooking, make the cashew cream. In a blender, combine all ingredients and process until a smooth paste is formed. This is essentially a replacement for cheese which is so often used in mexican cooking, so you want it to add some moisture and not be too dry).
7. Heat tortillas according to directions on the pan
8. To construct these tasty delights, layer them up. On the plate goes the tortilla, then a generous dollop of the cashew cream spread across the middle of the tortilla. On top of this goes a large spoonful of the chicken mixture, then the lettuce, tomato, avocado and finally the coriander.
9. Serve with chunks of lime on the side of the plate to add as you wish.
Recipe serves 4 adults